Here are some helpful hints to make border crossing into Canada easy and convenient. Make sure you carry proper identification for yourself and any children travelling with you to assist in confirming your legal right or authorization to enter Canada upon your arrival. Click here for information about required border crossing identification including traveling with minors. Click here to apply for a Canadian Passport.
NEW – Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a new Canadian visa entry requirement for travellers from countries that currently do not need a visa for entry (US citizens excluded). This new requirement came into effect on November 9, 2016. Basic information and What You Need to Know.
NEXUS is designed to speed up border crossings for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States (U.S.). It is jointly run by the Canada Border Services Agency and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
- Review the Canadian Border Services Agency for further information about NEXUS passes.
Enhanced Ontario Drivers License (EDL)
- An enhanced driver’s licence is an upgrade to an Ontario driver’s licence that acts as a travel document between Canada and the United States of America when travelling by road or water.
- The importation of certain goods is restricted or prohibited in Canada. To avoid the possibility of penalties, including seizure or prosecution, make sure you have the information you require before attempting to import items into Canada.
Border Wait Times
- This website shows the estimated wait times for reaching the primary inspection booth.
- When you return to Canada, you may qualify for a personal exemption. This allows you to bring goods of a certain value into the country without paying regular duty and taxes, except for a minimum duty that may apply to some tobacco products.