TOURISM BURLINGTON INC.
Invites Applications for the position of
Salary: $90,000 – $112,000 * under review
Posted: October 5, 2020
Closing Date: October 26, 2020
Burlington is a vibrant and progressive city located between Lake Ontario and the Niagara Escarpment. It is close to the urban buzz of Toronto but surrounded by the tranquil beauty of parks and gardens. Tourism Burlington is a non-profit organization managed by a volunteer, industry led Board of Directors and funded primarily by the City of Burlington. In addition to destination marketing, we operate a year-round visitor information centre. We offer a great pension and benefits package, as well as programs to foster innovation and leadership.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, this position is responsible for the administration and overall management of Tourism Burlington, the destination marketing and management organization for the City of Burlington. This position requires a strong leader that brings together industry partners to drive the growth of both visitation and product offerings across diverse areas including but not limited to Leisure Travel, Meetings and Conferences, Sport Tourism and Group Tour. The Executive Director ensures all aspects of the organization are being carried out according to the strategic, business and marketing plans approved by the Board of Directors. A positive and proactive approach to both business growth and team development is required in addition to advanced relationship management, government relations and project management expertise. This is a high-profile position which is the public face of tourism and must navigate both formal and informal political processes.
- Explores, fosters and facilitates strategic community and business partnerships in the delivery of tourism services in Burlington and the surrounding areas.
- Facilitates the creation of an organization strategic plan including coordinating stakeholder consultation.
- Serves as Project Lead for short and long-term tourism-based projects and initiatives.
- Responsible for the development of RFPs, RFQ’s, Terms of References, Charters, Communication and Consultation Plans related to developing tourism planning initiatives.
- Reviews new programs related to tourism and prepares policy drafts. Updates existing policies for board review and approval.
- Oversees the preparation of monthly and annual agendas, minutes and reports for the Board of Directors and sub-committees/task groups.
- Recruits, hires, ensures appropriate orientation and training, mentors, supervises, develops workplans, adjusts priorities, promotes teamwork and evaluates full time tourism staff.
- Oversees the management of partner and visitor services including souvenirs, information dissemination and part time staff and volunteer management.
- Monitors and examines market conditions and emerging trends, develops assessment and measurement tools and incorporates information into business and marketing plans.
- Oversees the preparation and implementation of the annual marketing plan with input from the volunteer marketing committee.
- Responsible for developing, administering and monitoring the annual budget and ensures the fiscal management of the organization including the pursuit of alternate funding strategies.
- Serves as liaison between Tourism Burlington and other government and non-governmental agencies providing advice and acting as a commenting agency.
- Serves as a spokesperson for the organization for all tourism related media inquiries.
- Advocates on behalf of the tourism industry to position the sector for growth.
- University Degree or College diploma in Tourism, Marketing or related field or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years in progressive tourism development, destination marketing, economic development or municipal role.
- Proven experience in tourism planning, research, marketing, sales, media relations, fiscal management and revenue generation.
- Ability to think big picture and articulate a vision to lead and inspire others.
- Strong leadership skills with a minimum of 5 years’ experience managing and developing a team of direct reports in a results-based and collaborative working environment.
- Highly developed analytical, forecasting and business planning skills with a proven track record for long term visioning and strategic planning.
- Strong verbal communication skills, presentation skills and writing skills.
- Exceptional ability to maintain successful relationships, handle situations requiring good judgement, diplomacy and tact, deal constructively with conflicts and develop effective resolutions.
- Project management training or certification would be an asset.
- Expertise in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word Press and Internet and database applications as required. Working knowledge of software applications and emerging technologies.
- Familiar with digital strategies and social media platforms to manage in absence of marketing staff.
- Required to work outside of regular business hours including evening and weekend work, events, travel, tours, trade shows, conferences and meeting attendance.
Please send resume and cover letter by email before 4:00 pm on October 26, 2020 to: Gord Langford, Chair, Tourism Burlington Board of Directors email@example.com
We thank all applicants and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
“AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER”
Tourism Burlington 414 Locust Ground Floor, Burlington, ON L7S 1T7
Toll Free: 1.877.499.9989