#BurlON til Oct 17
Welcome to October! After a soggy Thanksgiving weekend we’re hoping for sunny skies and dry days so we can get outside and enjoy. There are many activities to do in the area to celebrate the season, here are just a few…
Get out in Nature
We love fall for getting outdoors to cycle or hike. We’re lucky to have so many great trails so close to us here in #BurlON. Plan a visit to one of the Conservation Halton parks. Weekends until October 28 you can Fall Into Nature as some of the parks are offering fall themed activities. There will be children’s activities, birds of prey shows and enjoy a chairlift ride at Kelso Park Oct 13-14. Check their website for full details. Also this weekend the first Hops & Harvest Festival is being held at Kelso Conservation Area. There will be craft brewers, food vendors and other artisans all in the great outdoors.
We love the Royal Botanical Gardens at this time of year where the gardens are still very beautiful. Stroll through the many gardens, marvel at their international sculptures and lunch at one of their on-site restaurants. On Sundays in October the Jazz Brunch Concert Series has moved indoors to the Rock Garden Centre. Reservations are required. Running weekends until October 14 you can participate in a Prehistoric Grove Tour or an Autumn Colours Tour. The Autumn Colour Tour meets at 1:00 pm in Hendrie Park.
October is Hiking month with the Bruce Trail Hike-a-Thon. We are lucky to have beautiful parts of the trail run through North Burlington so register and get outdoors and get hiking!
If Mother Nature doesn’t cooperate this coming weekend there is still plenty to do in #BurlON. Check out our Rainy Day blog for some indoor ideas to keep busy.
Arts & Culture
There is a great line-up coming this season at the Burlington Performing Arts Centre so make sure you check out their event calendar and book your tickets as many shows sell out. This week there is so much to chose from you may want to go to several. Wiggle, Wiggle, Wiggle Tour, Whiskey Jack Presents The Stories of Stompin’ Tom, Magic!, Koogle Theatre Celebrating 10 years, Cowboy Junkies, Michael Kim Evolution of Piano, MOMIX: Opus Cactus, Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder , Legacy – Tribute to Gord Downie and support homegrown musical talent by attending the Live & Local Music Series: The Commisionaires. Also starting on Fri 12 “Run For Your Wife”, by the Aldershot Players is on at West Plains United Church.
Plan a visit to the Art Gallery of Burlington this weekend. Admission is always free and you can enjoy time browsing through the various exhibits and gift shop. Diana Throneycroft: Black Forest (dark waters) has started and runs until November 18 and the Patron’s Choice exhibit runs until Sunday October 21. Sundays the Art Gallery offers a Family Open Studio drop-in from 1-4. Kids must have a parent with them but this is a great way for families to get creative together.
Harvest Festival at Springridge Farm
The popular annual Harvest Festival runs weekends until Sunday October 28 at Springridge Farm. If you haven’t visited this farm just north of Burlington yet, you don’t know what you’re missing…and Harvest Festival is a perfect time to visit. They offer wagon rides, giant corn trail, professional puppet show, spooky Boo Barn, costumed characters and lots of farmyard fun. And parents won’t want to miss their amazing Barn Market and gift shop. Make sure you stock up on some of their delicious baked goods to take home.
Looking for a farmyard to visit with the kids? Stonehaven Farms is north on Guelph Line and is open weekends until October 28. They offer a giant corn maze and a pumpkin patch where you can pick your own pumpkin.
It’s our favourite time of the year to visit the Burlington Mall Farmers’ Market which runs Wednesdays from 8 am to 2 pm, Friday from 8 am to 4 pm, and Saturday from 8 am to 2 pm. Shop for local produce, baked goods, fresh flowers and other artisan food products. This market operates until October 27.
- To Sun Oct 21: Patron’s Choice Exhibit, Art Gallery
- To Sun Nov 18: Diana Thorneycroft: Black Forest (dark waters), Art Gallery
- Wed, Fri, Sat to Oct 27: Farmers’ Market, Burlington Mall Parking Lot
- Wknds to Sun Oct 28: Giant Corn Maze, Stonehaven Farms
- Wknds to Sun Oct 28: Pick Your Own Pumpkins, Stonehaven Farms
- Wknds to Sun Oct 14: Prehistoric Grove Tour, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Wknds to Sun Oct 14: Autumn Colours Tour, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Wknds to Sun Oct 28: Fall Into Nature, 6 Halton Conservation Areas
- Tuesdays to Oct 30: Kelso Cyclocross Race Series, Kelso C. Area
- Mon Oct 1-Wed Oct 31: Bruce Trail Hike-A-Thon, Anywhere on The Bruce Trail
- Wed 10: Bonsai, an Introduction, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Wed 10: Wiggle, Wiggle, Wiggle Tour, Performing Arts Centre
- Thurs 11: Whiskey Jack Presents The Stories of Stompin’ Tom, Performing Arts Centre
- Fri 12: Magic!, Performing Arts Centre
- Fri 12: Live & Local Music Series: The Commisionairies, Performing Arts Centre
- Fri 12-13: “Run For Your Wife”, West Plains United Church
- Sat 13: Colour in Nature: Photography for Beginners, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Sat 13: Trail Walk, Tansley Woods Library
- Sat 13: Fire Station Open Houses, Burlington Fire Stations
- Sat 13: Freeman Station Open House, Fairview St.
- Sat 13: Power of 10, Mattamy National Cycling Centre
- Sat 13: BellyUp BellyDance 1 Year Anniversary Show, BellyUp
- Sat 13: Celebrating 10 Years of KooGle Theatre Company, Performing Arts Centre
- Sat 13: Cowboy Junkies, Performing Arts Centre
- Sat 13-Sun 14: Harvest Festival, Springridge Farm
- Sat 13-Sun 14: Spooctacular Halloween, Mountsberg C. Area
- Sat 13-Sun 14: Hops & Harvest Festival, Kelso C. Area
- Sat 13-Sun 14: WonderSoul Weekend, Art Gallery of Burlington
- Sun 14: Jewellery & Accessories Sale, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Sun 14: Photography Workshop, Hilton Falls C. Area
- Sun 14: Rotary Turkey Trot, Bronte Creek
- Sun 14: Raptors in Focus, Mountsberg C. Area
- Sun 14: Jazz Brunch Concert Series, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Sun 14: Michael Kim: The Evolution of the Piano, Performing Arts Centre
- Sun 14: Momix: Opus Cactus, Performing Arts Centre
- Tues 16: HPO Presents Beyond the Music, Tansley Woods Library
- Tues 16: An Evening with Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder, Performing Arts Centre
- Wed 17: Eco-Film Festival: “Call of the Forest: The Forgotten Wisdom of Trees”, Central Library
- Wed 17: Legacy: A Tribute to Gord Downie, Performing Arts Centre