#BurlON til May 29
The May Long Weekend is officially behind us and we are getting closer and closer to summer. Visit one of the Farmer’s Markets to see what produce is in season, or canoe through the beautiful lands of the Royal Botanical Gardens. Also this weekend is the annual LobsterFest. Here are some highlights for the week ahead in #BurlON.
National Tourism Week
Burlington is proud to be celebrating Canada’s tourism industry during National Tourism Week, May 26-June 2. Tourism is a $91 billion industry in Canada. Tourism supports over 614,000 jobs and we are pleased to welcome over 1.3 million visitors annually to beautiful Burlington.
It’s that time of the year again- market time! Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays until October 26 is the Burlington Centre Farmer’s Market. This market has been a feature of Burlington for 61 years now. When browsing the market you will find a variety of locally grown fresh produce, baking, meats, and more. Get outdoors and shop local.
Until Oct 6 Centro Garden’s Farmer’s Market is open for the season. Sundays from 9 am to 12 pm check out local products from various vendors such as Tamp Coffee or Foundry Ice Cream. There is an assortment of goods to try and purchase, so make sure you stop by.
On Saturday the 25 is the Rotary Club of Burlington LobsterFest. Enjoy a night of delicious food and exciting activities. This year’s event is in support of the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Halton and Hamilton and The Angel Project. Buy your tickets online and support a great cause!
Explore the Outdoors
We’re finally getting some beautiful weather here in #BurlON so why not enjoy it at one of the fun events this week? The Royal Botanical Gardens is inviting you to Back to Nature with a hike through their beautiful and expansive lands every Sunday. Also at the RBG enjoy Paddling in Paradise, Tuesdays and Saturdays until Aug 17 where you can enjoy Coote’s Paradise from a canoe.
Ever wondered if fairies were real? Put on your pajamas and explore the enchanted forest at Mountsberg, then create your own fairy door to take home and enjoy some delicious s’mores!
There are also a variety of walks and runs this week, with Walk ‘n Roll at Spencer Smith Park and A Walk for Hope at Beachway Park, both on Sat 25, the Foot Health Month 5k Walk/Run at Spencer Smith Park on Sun 26, and Just Walk on Tues 28 at City View Park.
Monday the 27 is Bike to Work Day and there will be displays and activities in Civic Square in Downtown Burlington from 7-9 a.m. Great prizes up for grabs including a new bike!
Arts and Culture
Arts are alive in #BurlON this week. At the Art Gallery of Burlington there are plenty of exhibits ongoing, including Celebration of Art to May 31, In Common Uncommon to July 28, and Jeneen Frei Njootli: my auntie bought all her skidoos with bead money and 150 Acts: Art, Activism, Impact until August 18. Every Sunday the Art Gallery has a Family Sunday Open Studio. This is a great way to get creative as a family. Admission is always free, so make sure to stop by for some fantastic art or to find out you potential as an artist.
If you want to see a live performance, there’s many to choose from. At the Burlington Performing Arts Centre from Thurs 23 to Fri 24 is Mamma Mia!, and on Sun 26 is Anagnoson & Kinton: The Orchestral Piano. Theatre Burlington has performances of Don’t Misunderstand Me from Thurs 23 – Sat 25. The Drury Lane Theatre also has performances of Monty Python’s “Spamalot” from Thurs 23 to Sun 26.
- To Fri May 31: Celebration of Art, Art Gallery
- To Sun July 28: In Common Uncommon, Art Gallery
- To Sun Aug 18: Jeneen Frei Njootli: my auntie bought all her skidoos with bead money, Art Gallery
- To Sun Aug 18: 150 Acts: Art, Activism, Impact, Art Gallery
- Tues & Sats to Aug 17: Paddling in Paradise, RBG – Nature Centre
- Tues to Aug 27: Mountain Bike Race Series, Kelso C. Area
- Suns to Oct 6 : Farmer’s Market, Centro Garden
- Weds, Fris & Sats to Oct 26: Farmer’s Market, Burlington Mall Parking Lot
- Sundays: Family Sunday Open Studio, Art Gallery
- Sundays: Back to Nature Hike, RBG
- Thurs 23 – Fri 24: Mamma Mia!, Performing Arts Centre
- Thurs 23 – Sat 25: Don’t Misunderstand Me, Drama Centre
- Thurs 23 – Sun 26: Monty Python’s “Spamalot”, Drury Lane Theatre
- Fri 24: Where the Future Meets the Past, Art Gallery *SOLD OUT
- Sat 25: Walk ‘n Roll, Spencer Smith Park
- Sat 25: Discovery at the Fishway, RBG –Princess Point *CANCELLED
- Sat 25: Biodiversity Celebration, RBG
- Sat 25: Rotary Club of Burlington LobsterFest, Central Arena
- Sat 25: A Walk for Hope, Beachway Park
- Sat 25: Hike for the Carpenter Hospice, Mountainside Arena
- Sat 25: Pajama Night – Fairy Doors, Mountsberg C. Area
- Sat 25: Horticultural Society Plant Sale, St. Christopher’s Church
- Sat 25: Bike Tune Up, Emma’s Back Porch
- Sat 25 – Sun 26: Sulphur Springs Trail Race, Dundas Valley
- Sun 26: Birding for Families, RBG –Nature Centre
- Sun 26: Urban Beekeeping Series, RBG
- Sun 26: Anagnoson & Kinton: The Orchestral Piano, Performing Arts Centre
- Sun 26: Kitchen Essentials, Central Library
- Sun 26: Walk for Guide Dogs, Lion’s Club
- Sun 26: Mindfulness Drop-In Session, Mountainside Park
- Sun 26: Foot Health Month 5k Walk/Run, Spencer Smith Park
- Sun 26: Try It Series –Rock Climbing, Rattlesnake C. Area
- Mon 27: Bike to Work Day, CIty Hall, Burlington
- Tues 28: Just Walk, City View Park
- Tues 28: Meet the Author: Dave Williams, Art Gallery *SOLD OUT
- Wed 29: Meditation for Mental Health, Brant Hills Library
- Wed 29: The GCO 2019 Triennial Flower Show, RBG