#BurlON til June 5
May flew right by and we’re now into June. We are hoping for some days (and weeks) with consecutive sunshine so you can get out and enjoy all that #BurlON has to offer. Check out our fantastic beach, cheer We the North! at the viewing party for Raptors games 1 and 2 at Burlassic Park, bring the kids to the Kite Festival, or enjoy lots of great cycling and walking trails and smell the lilacs!
Burlassic Park Viewing Party
The downtown City Hall Civic Square will become Burlassic Park as the City hosts a free viewing party for Game 1 (Thurs May 30) and Game 2 (Sun June 2). These will be held rain or shine.
This Sunday from 12 – 4 pm is Burlington’s annual Kite Festival. Come on out to Brant Hills Park to build a kite or bring your own to help fill the sky with colour. Also available is face painting with Beebop the Clown, balloon animals, rock climbing and more. This is sure to be a day of fun for all ages, so make sure to stop by!
Moon in June
Celebrate the beginning of June with a run through the downtown. The Moon in June Race is an annual event with a 5 km and a 10 km run, as well as the Annual Meredith’s Kids 1 km fun run. Also this year, try the Grand-K, a 1 km walk for grandparents and their families. The event culminates in an after party in Civic Square complete with live music, food, a beer garden, and the awards ceremony. This is a great way to have fun while giving back to a good cause, Radius Child and Youth Services.
Fit in the Core
Get active this summer with Fit in the Core.The fun starts this Sunday and runs every Sunday from 10-11 am at the Plaza outside Burlington Performing Arts Centre. Each week try a new kind of workout, completely free! All you need to bring is a mat and a water bottle. Thanks to all the fitness providers in beautiful downtown Burlington for putting on these great classes!
Music in Bloom at the RBG
This Wed and Thurs at the Royal Botanical Gardens is The GCO 2019 Triennial Flower Show. The Garden Clubs of Ontario is presenting their show “Music in Bloom”. There will be a variety of exhibits and shows as well as multiple classes to participate in. This event is included in your general admission to the RBG, so it is definitely a must-see.
Outdoors in #BurlON
The Royal Botanical Gardens are inviting you to get Back to Nature with a guided hike through their beautiful lands. These hikes happen every Sunday from various points, so check their website to see where the next one starts.
Spend the summer on the mat with Yoga in the Park. Starting this Sunday and every Sunday through June enjoy yoga from 10:30-11:30 at a different Burlington park. This Sunday it will be at Hidden Valley Park- please bring your yoga mat/towel and water bottle. Another option to do yoga outdoors is every Wednesday starting June 5 at Rattlesnake Point Conservation Area. Led by an experienced teacher from Moksha Yoga in an hour long yoga class outdoors. This event is included in your park admission, so all you need to bring is a mat, water, and insect repellant.
NOTE: The City of Burlington has closed the beach at Burlington Beach Regional Waterfront Park—the Beachway—until further notice due to high water levels. The closure includes all beach rentals and services. The closure takes place to protect public safety and will remain until the lake-level goes down. There is significant sand erosion and debris at the shoreline. At this time, the playground, concessions, washrooms, parking and the recreational trail will remain open.
Arts and Culture
The arts are alive here in #BurlON. Ending this week on Fri May 31 is a Celebration of Art at the Art Gallery of Burlington. Ongoing exhibits at the Art Gallery are In Common Uncommon until July 28, Jeneen Frei Njootli: my auntie bought all her skidoos with bead money and 150 Acts: Art, Activism, Impact, both until August 18. Beginning this Thursday May 30 is a new exhibit, Worn Worlds, ongoing until July 7. Every Sunday the AGB also hosts a Family Sunday Open Studio. This is completely free and a great way for the family to get creative together.
This Friday the 31 and Saturday June 1 Theatre Burlington has performances of their show Don’t Misunderstand Me. Also this weekend on Sat the 1st at the Burlington Performing Arts Centre is Dream a Little Dance.
We love this time of year as the Farmer’s Markets are open again. Plan your schedule so you can shop at the Burlington Centre Lions Farmers Market, which is in it’s 61st year. Offering fruit, vegetables, cheese, meat, baked goods, wine and more! Open Wednesday and Saturday from 8-2 and Fridays from 8-3. Sundays you can visit the Centro Garden Market in Downtown Burlington and shop local vendors. It runs 9-12 every Sunday morning.
- To Fri May 31: Celebration of Art, Art Gallery
- To Sun July 28: In Common Uncommon, Art Gallery
- To Sun Aug 18: Jeneen Frei Njootli: my auntie bought all her skidoos with bead money, Art Gallery
- To Sun Aug 18: 150 Acts: Art, Activism, Impact, Art Gallery
- Thurs May 30 –Sun July 7: Worn Worlds, Art Gallery
- Tues & Sats to Aug 17: Paddling in Paradise, RBG – Nature Centre
- Tues to Aug 27: Mountain Bike Race Series, Kelso C. Area
- Suns to Oct 6 : Farmer’s Market, Centro Garden
- Weds, Fris & Sats to Oct 26: Farmer’s Market, Burlington Mall Parking Lot
- Sun June 2 –Sun Sept 22: Fit in the Core, Performing Arts Centre
- Tues June 4 –Aug 27: Tai Chi in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Weds June 5 –Aug 28: Yoga in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Sundays: Family Sunday Open Studio, Art Gallery
- Sundays: Back to Nature Hike, RBG
- Wed 29: Meditation for Mental Health, Brant Hills Library
- Wed 29 – Thurs 30: The GCO 2019 Triennial Flower Show, RBG
- Thurs 30: Burlassic Park – Raptors Viewing Party, Civic Square
- Fri 31: Ragnar Niagara, Central Arena
- Fri 31: Don’t Misunderstand Me, Drama Centre
- Sat 1: Don’t Misunderstand Me, Drama Centre
- Sat 1: Ragnar Niagara, Central Arena
- Sat 1: 100in1 Day Activities, Various Locations
- Sat 1: Dream a Little Dance, Performing Arts Centre
- Sat 1: Burlington Food Tours Vegetarian, Various downtown restaurants
- Sat 1: Open House, Burlington Model Railway Club
- Sat 1: Sail Past, LaSalle Park Marina
- Sat 1: Videography Workshop with COB Life, Bronte Creek Provincial Park
- Sat 1: BTC 6: Night of Champions, Central Arena
- Sat 1: Moon in June Race, Civic Square
- Sat 1 -Sun 2: Softball Tournament and Home Run Derby, Sherwood Forest Park
- Sun 2: Push for your Tush 5km Walk/10km Run, Tansley Woods Park
- Sun 2: Kite Festival, Brant Hills Park
- Sun 2: Kid’s Run For Nature, Beachway & Spencer Smith Parks
- Sun 2: Salad Bowl Planter Workshop, Ireland House at Oakridge Farm
- Sun 2: Benefit Concert: The Jim Cuddy Band & Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra, RBG – Hendrie Park
- Sun 2: Premiere Dance Inc. Presents… The Big 2-Oh! An All-Star Event, Performing Arts Centre
- Sun 2: Burlassic Park – Raptors Viewing Party, Civic Square