#BurlON til June 12
There’s a lot going on here in #BurlON! We’ve been having a great time with amazing crowds out at Burlassic Park to cheer on the Raptors and that fun will continue on remaining game days. We also have the kick off to the Sound of Music Festival this weekend. Here are some highlights for the upcoming week.
Sound of Music Kick Off Concert
Start the music a week early on June 8 with the Sound of Music Kick-Off Concert. Enjoy food and drinks at Spencer Smith Park and listen to bands like Bush, Live+, Monster Truck and more. Tickets are available online and gates open at 1 pm. It’s the 40th anniversary of Sound of Music and this is a kick-off you won’t want to miss!
Sound of Music Club Series
Sunday through Wednesday, see over 30 bands perform at different Burlington bars. This is a great opportunity to see live music for free and support local artists. For the schedule and locations, check here.
After successful turnout for games one and two of the series, #BurlON will again be hosting Burlassic Park, this time in the Central Park Bandshell for game three. This will be on Wednesday June 5 at 8:30 pm. The City of Burlington will be hosting these free viewing parties for every game in the finals to celebrate this historic moment in Canadian basketball. Come on out and cheer the Toronto Raptors on!
Market in Village Square
This Saturday, June 8 in Village Square is Second Saturdays in the Square. This summer pop up series, hosted by Burlington Made, showcases over 20 local and handmade vendors with live music and coffee, tea, and sweets all available. Until September, these events will occur once a month.
Get Outdoors and Get Active in #BurlON
The Royal Botanical Gardens are inviting you to get Back to Nature with a guided hike through their beautiful lands. These hikes happen every Sunday from various points, so check their website to see where the next one starts.
Spend the summer on the mat with Yoga in the Park. Starting this Sunday and every Sunday through June enjoy yoga from 10:30-11:30 at a different Burlington park. This Sunday it will be at Lowville Park- please bring your yoga mat/towel and water bottle. Another option to do yoga outdoors is every Wednesday starting June 5 at Rattlesnake Point Conservation Area. Led by an experienced teacher from Moksha Yoga in an hour long yoga class outdoors. This event is included in your park admission, so all you need to bring is a mat, water, and insect repellent.
Looking to get nose to beak with some birds of prey? Visit the Mountsberg Raptor Centre to learn more about the various Ontario-native species. On June 9, bring your camera and get lens to beak with Raptors in Focus. Also, at the Royal Botanical Gardens enjoy Paddling in Paradise; Tuesdays and Saturdays until Aug 17 where you can enjoy Cootes Paradise from a canoe.
Fit in the Core
Get active this summer with Fit in the Core.This runs every Sunday from 10-11 am at the Plaza outside Burlington Performing Arts Centre. Each week try a new kind of workout, completely free! This week is Full Body Strength Conditioning and Core by Beauchamp Fitness. All you need to bring is a mat and a water bottle. Thanks to all the fitness providers in beautiful downtown Burlington for putting on these great classes!
Plan to visit Freeman Station on Saturday for their Open House. Pop in from 10-3 and see the restored waiting room, Station Master’s office, Railway Diorama and more!
Arts and Culture
Ongoing exhibits at the Art Gallery are In Common Uncommon until July 28, Jeneen Frei Njootli: my auntie bought all her skidoos with bead money and 150 Acts: Art, Activism, Impact, both until August 18. Also there is a new exhibit, Worn Worlds, ongoing until July 7, celebrate its’ arrival to the AGB with the Worn Worlds Opening Reception on June 7. Every Sunday the AGB also hosts a Family Sunday Open Studio. This is completely free and a great way for the family to get creative together.
We love this time of year as the Farmer’s Markets are open again. Plan your schedule so you can shop at the Burlington Centre Lions Farmers Market, which is in its 61st year. Offering fruit, vegetables, cheese, meat, baked goods, wine and more! Open Wednesday and Saturday from 8-2 and Fridays from 8-3. Sundays you can visit the Centro Garden Market in Downtown Burlington and shop local vendors. It runs 9-12 every Sunday morning.
- Suns to June 23: Mindfulness While Walking, RBG
- Suns to June 30: Yoga in the Park, Rotating Parks
- Weds & Suns June 16 -Aug 18: Concerts in the Park, Central Park Bandshell
- To Sun July 28: In Common Uncommon, Art Gallery
- To Sun Aug 18: Jeneen Frei Njootli: my auntie bought all her skidoos with bead money, Art Gallery
- To Sun Aug 18: 150 Acts: Art, Activism, Impact, Art Gallery
- To Sun July 7: Worn Worlds, Art Gallery
- Tues & Sat to Aug 17: Paddling in Paradise, RBG – Nature Centre
- Tues to Aug 27: Mountain Bike Race Series, Kelso C. Area
- Suns to Oct 6 : Farmer’s Market, Centro Garden
- Weds, Fri & Sat to Oct 26: Farmer’s Market, Burlington Mall Parking Lot
- To Sat Sept 7: Various Water Programs, Burlington Beach
- Suns to Sept 22: Fit in the Core, Performing Arts Centre
- Tues to Aug 27: Tai Chi in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Weds to Aug 28: Yoga in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Thurs to Aug 29: HIIT in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Sundays: Family Sunday Open Studio, Art Gallery
- Sundays: Back to Nature Hike, RBG
- Thurs 6 –Fri 7: Creative Edge Year End Recital: Bohemian Rhapsody, Performing Arts Centre
- Fri 7: Worn Worlds Opening Reception, Art Gallery
- Fri 7: Relay for Life, Bronte Creek Provincial Park
- Fri 7: Girlfriend Fridays, Burlington Beach
- Sat 8: Second Saturdays in the Square, Village Square
- Sat 8: Autism Speaks Canada 3km Walk, Corpus Christi Catholic School
- Sat 8: Sound of Music Kick-Off Concert, Spencer Smith Park
- Sun 9: Paws for a Cause for Canine Cancer, Beachway Park
- Sun 9: Raptors in Focus, Mountsberg C. Area
- Sun 9: SunRype TriKids Burlington Duathlon, Nelson Park & Pool *SOLD OUT
- Sun 9: McCarthy School of Dance: “Stars So Bright”, Performing Arts Centre
- Mon 10: Glenn Arbour Academy Presents: The Lion King Kids, Performing Arts Centre