#BurlON til July 3
It’s a great time to visit #BurlON and enjoy the beautiful summer weather! With plenty of events such as open houses at Freeman Station, or the celebration of Canada Day in Spencer Smith Park, there’s plenty to do to stay busy this week. Here are some things we recommend for the upcoming week.
Celebrate our country’s birthday in Spencer Smith Park for Canada Day. Enjoy free entertainment and Canadian-inspired activities all day, starting at 2 pm. There are performances from dancers and #BurlON’s own Teen Tour Band, with the day culminating in a spectacular firework show over the waterfront. So wear your red and white and we’ll see you at the park!
Party on Plains
On Thursday June 27 from 6-9 pm visit Aldershot Village for a giant Party on Plains. There will be 3 locations along Plains Road to enjoy live music as well as local businesses providing treats and specials. Lots of fun and games for all ages and it’s free!
The historic 1906 Grand Trunk Railway Station is hosting Open House Days, with one occurring on Canada Day. Learn about the history of one of the last surviving Grand Trunk Railway stations, including its role in the war and transportation of people and fresh goods throughout the GTA. We had the pleasure of visiting Freeman Station on an Open House Day and we got to see the amazing work done by the volunteers as well as the diorama of life in the village of Freeman in the Lower Level. Check online for dates of other Open House Days in the future. This is definitely a must see in #BurlON.
Make a Splash this Summer
All of the outdoor pools in Burlington are now officially open for summer. Have fun in our various pools and splash parks all summer- the perfect way to have fun and stay cool! For details about specific pools, check online. Also make sure you check out Bronte Creek Provincial Park for their amazing pool. It’s open June 29-September 2 from 11-6 daily. The pool is 1.8 acres in size, so a great way to beat the heat this summer!
Arts and Culture
This Thurs June 27 at the Burlington Performing Arts Centre is Fascinating Rhythm.
Ongoing exhibits at the Art Gallery are In Common Uncommon until July 28, Jeneen Frei Njootli: my auntie bought all her skidoos with bead money and 150 Acts: Art, Activism, Impact, both until August 18. Also there is an exhibit entitled Worn Worlds, ongoing until July 7. Every Sunday the AGB also hosts a Family Sunday Open Studio. This is completely free and a great way for the family to get creative together.
Music in the Gardens
This week is the start of live music at the Royal Botanical Gardens. Starting July 2 enjoy Country and Roots Tuesdays each week and starting Wednesday July 3 is Red Hot Jazz & Cool Blues every Wednesday pm. These events take place in Hendrie Park and are included with your admission to the RBG. The perfect venue to enjoy music outdoors.
You can also enjoy music outdoors on Wednesday and Sunday evenings for Concerts in the Park at the Central Park Bandshell. Concerts start at 7:30 pm and you should bring a blanket or lawn chair to sit on. Wednesday the 26 is the Top Hat Marching Orchestra and Sunday June 30 is Shari Vandermolen and the Swing Revival.
Every Sunday you can visit the Centro Garden Market in Downtown Burlington and shop local vendors from 9-12. Plan your schedule so you can shop at the Burlington Centre Lions Farmers Market, now in its 61st year. Offering fruit, vegetables, cheese, meat, baked goods, wine and more! Open Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8-2 and Fridays from 8-3. This Friday is their annual Canada Day celebration and if you stop in between 9:30 am- 12 noon you can enjoy strawberries and ice cream (while quantities last).
Explore the Outdoors & Get Active
The Royal Botanical Gardens invite you to get Back to Nature with a hike through their beautiful lands every Sunday. Be sure to check their website for more information as the starting point does change. Also at the RBG enjoy Paddling in Paradise, where you can enjoy Cootes Paradise from a canoe Tuesdays and Saturdays until August 17. Or plan a visit and take in the Rose Garden and enjoy tea at the Tea House. There is something for everyone at the RBG.
At Rattlesnake Point Conservation Area there are various ways to be active all summer long. On Tuesdays try Tai Chi in the Park, where no experience is necessary. On Wednesdays, bring your mat for Yoga in the Park. For a more intense workout, try HIIT in the Park every Thursday.
Get Fit in the Core this summer at the Plaza outside the Burlington Performing Arts Centre in Downtown Burlington. Every Sunday from 10-11 am try a new kind of workout, completely free! Just bring your mat, water bottle and your energy!
Every Tuesday at Kelso Conservation Area is the biggest and best weekly race series in Southern Ontario. The Mountain Bike Race Series allows you to challenge yourself to new trails and experiences, check online for registration details.
Starting Tuesday July 2 and every Tuesday in the summer enjoy free yoga sessions at Bronte Creek Provincial Park. Park fee does apply when entering the park, but then you can enjoy the beautiful surroundings with a relaxing yoga class from 6-7 pm.
- Suns to June 30: Yoga in the Park, Rotating Parks
- Weds & Suns to Aug 18: Concerts in the Park, Central Park Bandshell
- To Mon July 1: Bloom Celebrations!, RBG
- To Sun July 28: In Common Uncommon, Art Gallery
- To Sun Aug 18: Jeneen Frei Njootli: my auntie bought all her skidoos with bead money, Art Gallery
- To Sun Aug 18: 150 Acts: Art, Activism, Impact, Art Gallery
- To Sun July 7: Worn Worlds, Art Gallery
- Tues & Sats to Aug 17: Paddling in Paradise, RBG – Nature Centre
- Tues to Aug 27: Mountain Bike Race Series, Kelso C. Area
- Tues July 2 -Aug 27: Yoga in the Park, Bronte Creek P.P.
- Tues July 2 -Aug 27: Country and Roots Tuesdays, RBG
- Wed July 3 -Aug 28: Red Hot Jazz & Cool Blues, RBG
- Suns to Oct 6 : Farmer’s Market, Centro Garden
- Weds, Fris & Sats to Oct 26: Farmer’s Market, Burlington Mall Parking Lot
- To Sat Sept 7: Various Water Programs, Burlington Beach Rentals
- Suns to Sept 22: Fit in the Core, Performing Arts Centre
- Tues to Aug 27: Tai Chi in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Weds to Aug 28: Yoga in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Thurs to Aug 29: HIIT in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Sundays: Family Sunday Open Studio, Art Gallery
- Sundays: Back to Nature Hike, RBG
- Wed 26: Photography Workshops Series, Mount Nemo C. Area
- Thurs 27: Party on Plains!, Plains Road W
- Thurs 27: Panel Discussion on Cannabis, Central Library
- Thurs 27: Grow Your Own Food, RBG
- Thurs 27: Fascinating Rhythm, Performing Arts Centre
- Sat 29: Just Walk, Ireland Park
- Sat 29 -Sun 30: Beyond the Bridge Regatta, LaSalle Park
- Sat 29 -Sun 30: Bonsai Society Spring Exhibit, RBG
- Sat 29 -Mon 1: Escarpment Train Exhibit, RBG- Rock Garden
- Sun 30:Public Viewing Sessions, Burlington Model Railway Club
- Sun 30: Medicine Walk with Gail Whitlow, Crawford Lake C.A.
- Mon 1: Escarpment Train Exhibit, RBG- Rock Garden
- Mon 1: GGS Law Canada Day 5k, Spencer Smith Park
- Mon 1: Canada Day, Halton County Radial Railway Streetcar Museum
- Mon 1: Canada Day, Spencer Smith Park
- Mon 1: Open House Days, Freeman Station
- Tues 2: Hip Hop Dance Workshop, Tansley Woods Library
- Tues 2: Creeks & Creepy Crawlies, Brant Hills Library
- Wed 3: Hip Hop Dance Workshop, Alton Library