#BurlON til July 17
It’s another full week of activities here in #BurlON. There is another Open House Day at the historic Freeman Station, as well as many ways to enjoy live entertainment outdoors. Also, Second Saturdays in the Square returns this weekend with many different local artisans. Here are some things we think you should explore this week.
Songs and Sunsets Music Series
This Saturday, come out to the Central Park Bandshell for the Songs and Sunsets Music Series. Enjoy a free concert from Bonnie Hamilton in the park, starting at 7:30. This is sure to be a fun event and a great way to enjoy the sunset.
Open House at Freeman Station
This Saturday the 13 is another of the Open House Days at Freeman Station. Originally called Burlington Junction; Freeman Station was built in 1906 and has recently undergone a major restoration to preserve the history of Burlington. Visit from 10 am to 3 pm to learn about #BurlON’s past from one of the many dedicated volunteers.
Concerts in the Park
Ongoing this summer are Concerts in the Park in the Central Park Bandshell. Enjoy free musical entertainment under the open sky on Wednesdays and Sundays all summer long. Bring a blanket or lawn chair to sit and relax outdoors while listening to fantastic music. This Wednesday is the Mississauga Concert Band and Sunday is Sophisticated Swing. For a schedule of the performances, visit the City of Burlington website.
Shop Locally in #BurlON
This month’s Second Saturdays in the Square is on the 13th. From 10 am to 3 pm in Village Square shop local and handmade products from over 20 vendors while enjoying live music and refreshments from local shops. Also, bring your kids for free crafting in the Square.
Sundays you can visit the Centro Garden Market in Downtown Burlington and shop local vendors. It runs 9-12 every Sunday morning.
Also, plan your schedule so you can shop at the Burlington Centre Lions Farmers Market, which is in its 61st year. Offering fruit, vegetables, cheese, meat, baked goods, wine and more! Open Wednesday and Saturday from 8-2 and Fridays from 8-3.
Music in the Gardens
This week enjoy live music at the Royal Botanical Gardens. Until August 27 enjoy Country and Roots Tuesdays and on Wednesdays until August 28 is Red Hot Jazz & Cool Blues. These events take place in Hendrie Park and are included with your admission to the RBG.
Explore the Outdoors
This Friday the 12 try Rhythmic Moon Yoga, a night of yoga under the summer evening sky at Mount Nemo, ending with a meditation around a campfire.
At the RBG enjoy Paddling in Paradise, where you can enjoy Cootes Paradise from a canoe Tuesdays and Saturdays until August 17.
At Rattlesnake Point Conservation Area there are various ways to be active all summer long. On Tuesdays try Tai Chi in the Park, no experience necessary. On Wednesdays, bring your mat for Yoga in the Park. For a more intense workout, try HIIT in the Park every Thursday.
Get Fit in the Core this summer at the Plaza outside the Burlington Performing Arts Centre. Every Sunday from 10-11 am try a new kind of workout, completely free!
Movies in the Park
This Thursday is another week of #BurlON’s Movies Under the Stars. This week at Orchard Park is Planes: Fire and Rescue. Bring your lawn chairs and blankets early to the park to get seats and enjoy a movie for free in the fresh air. Check @BurlEvents on Twitter for confirmation that the movie is showing by 3 p.m. on the scheduled movie date.
Arts and Culture
This Friday a new exhibit arrives at the Art Gallery of Burlington titled Guardian Spirits, which will be on display until August 28. Ongoing exhibits at the Art Gallery are In Common Uncommon until July 28, Jeneen Frei Njootli: my auntie bought all her skidoos with bead money and 150 Acts: Art, Activism, Impact, both until August 18. This Thursday the 11 at the Performing Arts Centre is Burlington Student Theatre’s performance of CATS.
- Weds & Suns to Aug 18: Concerts in the Park, Central Park Bandshell
- To Sun July 28: In Common Uncommon, Art Gallery
- To Sun Aug 18: Jeneen Frei Njootli: my auntie bought all her skidoos with bead money, Art Gallery
- To Sun Aug 18: 150 Acts: Art, Activism, Impact, Art Gallery
- Fri July 12 –Sun Aug 28: Guardian Spirits, Art Gallery
- To Mid July: Pick Your Own Strawberries, Stonehaven Farms
- Sat July 6 –Sun July 28: Edible Weekends, RBG – Hendrie Garden
- Tues & Sats to Aug 17: Paddling in Paradise, RBG – Nature Centre
- Tues to Aug 27: Mountain Bike Race Series, Kelso C. Area
- To Mon Sept 2: Farmhouse & Nature Centre Open, Bronte Creek P.P.
- To Mon Sept 2: Outdoor Pool Open, Bronte Creek P.P.
- Tues to Aug 27: Yoga in the Park, Bronte Creek P.P.
- Tues July 2 -Aug 27: Country and Roots Tuesdays, RBG
- Weds to Aug 28: Red Hot Jazz & Cool Blues, RBG
- Thurs to Aug 29: Music in the Park – Amateur Evening, Bronte Creek P.P.
- Suns to Oct 6: Farmer’s Market, Centro Garden
- Weds, Fris & Sats to Oct 26: Farmer’s Market, Burlington Centre Parking Lot
- Suns to Sept 22: Fit in the Core, Performing Arts Centre
- Tues to Aug 27: Tai Chi in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Weds to Aug 28: Yoga in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Thurs to Aug 29: HIIT in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Sundays: Family Sunday Open Studio, Art Gallery
- Sundays: Back to Nature Hike, RBG
- Wed 10: SOLO Presents Verismo Opera, Central Library
- Thurs 11: Explore and Learn with HPO Woodwind Trio, Alton Library
- Thurs 11: Creeks & Creepy Crawlies, Aldershot Library
- Thurs 11: CATS, Performing Arts Centre
- Thurs 11: Movies Under the Stars, Orchard Park
- Fri 12: Girlfriend Fridays, Burlington Beach
- Fri 12: Concert of Choral Music “La Maitrise des Hauts de France”, Luke’s Anglican Church
- Fri 12: Rhythmic Moon Yoga, Mount Nemo C.A.
- Fri 12- Sun 14: Mystical Magical Weekend, Toronto West KOA
- Fri 12- Sun 14: The Spirits of Paradise, RBG- Hendrie Park
- Sat 13: Forest Bathing -Shinrin Yoku, Hilton Falls C. Area
- Sat 13: Just Walk, Waterfront Trail
- Sat 13: Open House Days, Freeman Station
- Sat 13: Second Saturdays in the Square, Village Square
- Sat 13: Raptors in Focus, Mountsberg C. Area
- Sat 13: Songs and Sunsets Music Series, Central Park Bandshell
- Sat 13: Burlington Food Tours, Various downtown restaurants
- Sat 13: Wine & Paint Party, Mountsberg C.A.
- Tues 16: Turtle Crossing, Tansley Woods Library
- Tues 16: Turtle Crossing, Brant Hills Library
- Wed 17: Musical Storytelling, The Sleeping Giant, New Appleby Library