#BurlON til July 10
The summer is off to a great start in #BurlON and the first long weekend of summer was a super one with great weather and fantastic Canada Day celebrations. This week is the first week that kids are out of school so here are some of our suggestions on how to spend the first week of summer vacation.
Downtown Car Show
This Saturday July 6 is the 5th annual Burlington Downtown Car Show. Brant Street will be closed from Caroline to Lakeshore and there are cars for everyone – muscle cars, cruisers, classics, sports cars and more. If cars aren’t your thing, then enjoy live music, sidewalk sales and vendors. New this year you can enjoy live music on the terrace of the Burlington Performing Arts Centre. Come on down for what’s sure to be a fantastic day for the whole family.
Music in the Gardens
This week enjoy live music at the Royal Botanical Gardens. Until August 27 enjoy Country and Roots Tuesdays and on Wednesdays until August 28 is Red Hot Jazz & Cool Blues. These events take place in Hendrie Park and are included with your admission to the RBG. Enjoy great music at a beautiful venue.
Music in Bronte Creek
Thursdays at Bronte Creek Park is Music in the Park – Amateur Evening. Enjoy a casual evening of local entertainment from a variety of performers. Performances begin at 6 pm and occur weekly. There are still open times for performers, so if you are a musician looking for an opportunity to showcase your talents, contact the park.
Movies Under The Stars
This Thursday July 4 kicks off the summer’s Movies Under the Stars. This week it’s being held at Nelson Park and the movie is Megamind. Bring your lawn chairs and blankets early to get seats and enjoy a movie for free in the fresh air. Check @BurlEvents on Twitter for confirmation that the movie is showing by 3 p.m. on the scheduled movie date.
Concerts in the Park
Weekly all summer long enjoy Concerts in the Park in the Central Park Bandshell. These are free musical concerts under the open sky on Wednesdays and Sundays all summer long. Bring a blanket or lawn chair to sit and relax outdoors while listening to fantastic music. This Wednesday is Dixieland and this Sunday is 12/4 Swing. For a schedule of the performances this summer visit the City of Burlington website.
Art and Culture
Ongoing exhibits at the Art Gallery are In Common Uncommon until July 28, Jeneen Frei Njootli: my auntie bought all her skidoos with bead money and 150 Acts: Art, Activism, Impact, both until August 18. Also there is an exhibit entitled Worn Worlds, ending this weekend on July 7, so be sure to check it out before it’s gone. Every Sunday the AGB also hosts a Family Sunday Open Studio. This is completely free and a great way for the family to get creative together.
Outdoors in #BurlON
The Royal Botanical Gardens are inviting you to get Back to Nature with a hike through their beautiful lands every Sunday. Be sure to check their website for more information as the starting point does change. Also at the RBG enjoy Paddling in Paradise, where you can enjoy Coote’s Paradise from a canoe Tuesdays and Saturdays until August 17. This must be booked in advance.
Every Tuesday at Kelso Conservation Area is the biggest and best weekly race series in Southern Ontario. The Mountain Bike Race Series allows you to challenge yourself to new trails and experiences, check online for registration details.
Until July 7 celebrate Family Fishing Week at Bronte Creek Provincial Park. Follow the Half Moon Valley Trail to the creek and try fishing in Ontario Parks, no license required.
At Rattlesnake Point Conservation Area there are various ways to be active all summer long. On Tuesdays try Tai Chi in the Park, no experience necessary. On Wednesdays, bring your mat for Yoga in the Park. For a more intense workout, try HIIT in the Park every Thursday.
Get Fit in the Core this summer at the Plaza outside the Burlington Performing Arts Centre. Every Sunday from 10-11 am try a new kind of workout, completely free!
Sundays you can visit the Centro Garden Market in Downtown Burlington and shop local vendors. It runs 9-12 every Sunday morning. This Friday the 5 from 4 – 10 pm is Centro Garden’s MKRS MRKT. Shop locally made decor, furniture, clothing and more as well as local produce and food. Plan your schedule so you can shop at the Burlington Centre Lions Farmers Market, which is in its 61st year. Offering fruit, vegetables, cheese, meat, baked goods, wine and more! Open Wednesday and Saturday from 8-2 and Fridays from 8-3 it’s a must for fresh produce and veggies!
- Weds & Suns to Aug 18: Concerts in the Park, Central Park Bandshell
- To Sun July 28: In Common Uncommon, Art Gallery
- To Sun Aug 18: Jeneen Frei Njootli: my auntie bought all her skidoos with bead money, Art Gallery
- To Sun Aug 18: 150 Acts: Art, Activism, Impact, Art Gallery
- To Sun July 7: Worn Worlds, Art Gallery
- Tues & Sats to Aug 17: Paddling in Paradise, RBG – Nature Centre
- Tues to Aug 27: Mountain Bike Race Series, Kelso C. Area
- Sat June 29 -Mon Sept 2: Farmhouse & Nature Centre Open, Bronte Creek P.P.
- Sat June 29 -Mon Sept 2: Outdoor Pool Open, Bronte Creek P.P.
- Sat June 29 -Sun July 7: Family Fishing Week, Bronte Creek P.P.
- Tues July 2 -Aug 27: Yoga in the Park, Bronte Creek P.P.
- Tues July 2 -Aug 27: Country and Roots Tuesdays, RBG
- Wed July 3 -Aug 28: Red Hot Jazz & Cool Blues, RBG
- Thurs July 4- Aug 29: Music in the Park – Amateur Evening, Bronte Creek P.P.
- Sat June 28 –Sun Sept 1: Guided Tour, RBG – Rock Garden
- Suns to Oct 6 : Farmer’s Market, Centro Garden
- Weds, Fris & Sats to Oct 26: Farmer’s Market, Burlington Mall Parking Lot
- Suns to Sept 22: Fit in the Core, Performing Arts Centre
- Tues to Aug 27: Tai Chi in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Weds to Aug 28: Yoga in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Thurs to Aug 29: HIIT in the Park, Rattlesnake Point C. Area
- Sundays: Family Sunday Open Studio, Art Gallery
- Sundays: Back to Nature Hike, RBG
- Wed 3: Hip Hop Dance Workshop, Alton Library
- Thurs 4: Hip Hop Dance Workshop, Central Library
- Thurs 4: Movies Under the Stars, Nelson Park
- Fri 5: MKRS MRKT, Centro Garden
- Fri 5- Sun 7: The Spirits of Paradise, RBG- Hendrie Park
- Sat 6: Burlington Downtown Car Show, Brant Street