#BurlON til Jan 9
A new year means new fun things to see and do in #BurlON. With kids at home for the holidays, it’s the perfect time to try out a camp or explore the Royal Botanical Gardens. Here are some things we think you should check out this week in Burlington.
Holiday Camps for Kids
Looking for something for the kids to do while out of school? There are a couple of camps to try for the holiday break. At the Ireland House there will be fun crafts, games, and more for the Winter Snow Day Camp. At the Art Gallery of Burlington’s Holiday Camp, kids can tour the exhibitions, create arts and crafts, and play fun games. Both camps run from Wed to Fri Jan 2-4.
Until January 5 in various Burlington arenas Tim Horton’s is hosting a Free Skate. Be sure to check online for dates, times, and locations as they do change. Also, if the weather permits, come downtown to the Rotary Centennial Pond for free Pond Skating until March 4. This is a great way to spend some time with the family while also being active, despite the cold weather!
Tis the ski-son at Glen Eden Ski and Snowboard Centre which has numerous runs open this week and if you are new to skiing you can rent equipment, book lessons and then enjoy their apres ski amenities.
Until February 18, Mountsberg Conservation Area is inviting you and your friends or family to enjoy horse-drawn Winter Sleigh Rides through a winter wonderland. Pre-registration is recommended as spaces do sell out fast. Take a step back to the year 1900 and experience the Christmas season like never before at the Victorian Christmas Festival. At Bronte Creek from Jan 3-6, enjoy fresh baked holiday treats and cider, tours of the Spruce Lane Farmhouse, learn about the holiday traditions of the Victorian era, and more. No reservations are required.
With the buzz of the holidays settling down it is the perfect time to head down to Spencer Smith Park for Burlington Festival of Lights. Enjoy over 60 festive displays until January 8, by either walking through the park or driving along Lakeshore Road.
Explore the RBG
Get outside at the RBG with guided Winter Walks and learn how the forest has changed to survive the winter. Also, check out the ongoing Mini Exhibit: Seeds in Disguise, and see how ornamental seeds are “disguised” as beads in jewelry, trinkets, and ornaments.
Take a stroll through the thousands of twinkling lights in the Rock Garden at the Royal Botanical Gardens for Winter Lights at the Rock. Tickets are required for this event, so check it out online to learn more. Also on weekends at the RBG is the Escarpment Train Exhibit. Go on a journey through four seasons of Canadian landscapes while hearing the story of how railroads shaped our history.
Check out Some Local Art
The Art Gallery of Burlington has plenty to see and do this week. On Jan. 6 join MP Karina Gould at the third annual New Year’s Levee. Enjoy free access to the gallery’s exhibits and see demonstrations and hands-on activities. Ongoing until January the 27 are two fantastic exhibits, Dancing on the Grave and Beautiful Scars: Mohawk Warriors, Hunters, and Chiefs. Every Sunday from 1-4 pm engage in art and craft making at the free Open Studio. All are welcome to participate.
- Daily to Jan 6: Botanical Train Display, RBG Centre
- Daily Jan 2-6: Escarpment Train Exhibit, RBG Rock Gardens
- Dec 22-Jan 5: Tim Horton’s Free Skate, Various Arenas
- Daily to Jan 6: RBG Express, RBG Hendrie
- Jan 3-6: Victorian Christmas Festival, Bronte Creek
- Daily to Jan 6: Winter Walks, RBG Hendrie
- Daily to Jan 8: Festival of Lights, Spencer Smith Park
- Daily to Jan 13: Mini Exhibit: Seeds in Disguise, RBG Centre
- Daily to Jan 27: Dancing on the Grave, Art Gallery
- Daily to Jan 27: Beautiful Scars: Mohawk Warriors, Hunters, and Chiefs, Art Gallery
- Daily to Jan 4 & Wknds Jan 5-Feb24: Winter Sleigh Rides, Mountsberg C. Area
- Daily to Mar 4: Pond Skating *Weather Permitting, Burlington Rotary Centennial Pond
- Sundays: Family Sunday Open Studio, Art Gallery
- Sun 6: New Year’s Levee, Art Gallery
- Thurs 10 & Fri 11: Abbamania, Performing Arts Centre
- Tues 15: HPO Presents Bach, Central Library
- Fri 18: Owl Prowl – Adult, Mountsberg C. Area
- Fri 18: Upright Citizens Brigade Touring Co, Performing Arts Centre
- Fri 18: Live & Local Music Series: Charissa Pavlou & The Red Hill Valleys, Performing Arts Centre