#BurlON til Jan 30
We’re at the end of January already! With the cold weather making its presence known here in #BurlON, we’ve come up with a few activities to enjoy this week both outdoors and indoors.
Winter Beer Festival
Culminating the Festival of Beer, the 5th Annual Burlington Winter Beer Festival is an exciting celebration of beer and food. Present will be a variety of different breweries offering tastings, local restaurants with food to sample, and fun activities to participate in. The event is being held at the Holiday Inn Burlington, and tickets are available online or at the door. For all beer lovers, this is not an event to miss!
Come downtown to the Rotary Centennial Pond for free Pond Skating until March 4th. The cold temperature is perfect for keeping the rink frozen and for some time with the family while also being active. If you prefer to do your skating indoors, arenas in Burlington are hosting a Public Skate sessions. Check online to see specific times, dates, and locations, as they do vary.
Spiders Alive at the RBG
Arachnophobes beware, until April 14 the Royal Botanical Gardens will be crawling with spiders and their anthropod friends for Spiders Alive!. Here you can learn about the many adaptations and behaviours of spiders and other creatures in two interactive exhibits and daily programs for all ages. This event is included in your general admission to the RBG, so make sure to stop by during your visit.
Have you ever wanted to get nose to beak with an owl before? Now you can with Mountsberg Conservation Area’s Owl Prowl. This program provides insight into the lives of Ontario’s owls with a hike through the night and a visit with Mountsberg’s resident raptors. With two nights, Jan 25 for adults and Jan 26 for families, this is not an event to be missed. Pre-registration is required.
Weekends until February 18, Mountsberg Conservation Area is inviting you and your friends or family to enjoy horse-drawn Winter Sleigh Rides through a winter wonderland. Pre-registration is recommended as spaces do sell out fast.
Glen Eden is officially open for winter. While we may not have had much snow, that won’t get in the way of hitting the slopes this week. Check online to see slope conditions and other information.
Hiking is also available at all of our conservation parks. Visit Conservation Halton’s website for information and to see which one of the many beautiful trails here in BurlON is right for you.
Arts and Culture
Burlington is always alive with spectacular art and performances. This is the last weekend to see two fantastic exhibits at the Art Gallery of Burlington. Dancing on the Grave and Beautiful Scars: Mohawk Warriors, Hunters, and Chiefs will be here until January 27. Also, every Sunday at the AGB from 1-4 pm engage in art and craft making at the free Open Studio. All are welcome to participate.
There are also a few different performances to catch this weekend at the Burlington Performing Arts Centre. Fri 25 is I Mother Earth & Finger 11, Sat 26 is The Mozart Effect: Live, and Sun 27 is One Thing Leads to Another.
For a complete listing of upcoming shows and performances, check out our blog, What’s On Stage 2019.
- Daily to Jan 27: Dancing on the Grave, Art Gallery
- Daily to Jan 27: Beautiful Scars: Mohawk Warriors, Hunters, and Chiefs, Art Gallery
- Weekends to Feb 24: Winter Sleigh Rides, Mountsberg C. Area
- Daily to Mar 4: Pond Skating *Weather Permitting, Burlington Rotary Centennial Pond
- Sat Jan 19 – Sun Apr 14: Spiders Alive!, RBG
- Sats Jan 26 to Feb 9: Colour in Nature: Intermediate Photography, RBG
- Sundays: Family Sunday Open Studio, Art Gallery
- Various days: Public Skate, Multiple Arenas
- Fri 25: Owl Prowl – Adult, Mountsberg C.A
- Fri 25: I Mother Earth & Finger 11, Performing Arts Centre
- Fri 25 – Sat 26: Winter Beer Festival, Holiday Inn
- Sat 26: Owl Prowl – Family, Mountsberg C.A
- Sat 26: The Mozart Effect: Live, Performing Arts Centre
- Sun 27: Robbie Burns 8 km Road Race, Central High School
- Sun 27: One Thing Leads to Another, Performing Arts Centre
- Tues 29: A Taste of Burlington Launch, Performing Arts Centre