#BurlON til Jan 29
With the recent snowfall get outside and embrace winter this week with the many different events happening in #BurlON ’til Jan 29. Try snowshoeing at Crawford Lake or skating on the pond, or keep warm with a show at BPAC or exploring the exhibits at the AGB. Here are some highlights for the week ahead.
RBG Wildlife Rescue
The Royal Botanical Garden’s winter exhibit is Wildlife Rescue. Visit the RBG from now until Mon Apr 13 to explore the stories of endangered species around the world. There are different activities as well as guest animals and rescuers visiting so check online for a full schedule of events. Admission to the exhibit is included in general admission.
Get out of the cold and warm up inside the Holiday Inn Burlington Hotel & Conference Centre for Burlington’s annual BeerFest. Friday 4-10 and Saturday 3-10 you’ll enjoy great beer and food. There’s a great list of craft breweries attending so get your tickets. For more info and to see what breweries will be there, check the website.
Arts and Culture
Want to escape the cold this weekend? At the Burlington Performing Arts Centre this Saturday the 25 is Caissie Levy. She is best known for her role as Elsa from Frozen on Broadway, so it’s sure to be a good show.
Leaving the Art Gallery of Burlington this weekend is Holding Space: Samantha Dickie, here until Sun Jan 26, so be sure to check it out before its gone. New to the AGB is the interlude Exhibit, on until March 1. Also on is the Division of Labour Exhibit until March 29. Every week the Art Gallery hosts Family Sunday Open Studio. Admission is always free and runs 1-4 pm. This is a great way to get creative as a family.
Outdoors in #BurlON
The Rotary Centennial Pond is open for Pond Skating this season. Come downtown to skate while looking out towards the lake. This is weather dependent so check if the pond is open ahead of time. There is also a skate lending program available weeknights and all day Saturday and Sunday.
Visit Crawford Lake this Saturday the 25 for an Evening Snowshoe Hike. Get to know the history of snowshoeing while exploring the beautiful landscape. Pre-registration is required.
Until Mon Feb 17 enjoy Winter Wagon Rides through Mountsberg Conservation Area. Take a ride through the winter wonderland and end with a marshmallow roast at a roaring bonfire. Pre-registration is recommended.
Also, at Mountsberg, get nose to beak with their resident raptors this weekend. On Fri 24 is Owl Night – Adult and on Sat 25 is Owl Prowl – Family, where you can hike through the night to search for owls in their natural habitat. Pre-registration is required for both events.
30/60 Winter Challenge
Get outside and play with the 30/60 Winter Challenge. Complete 30 activities in 60 days for the chance to win fun prizes. This is a great way to enjoy the season’s activities and get to know the city better. Instructions on how to play are online here.
For different ways to get outside and play this winter check here.
- To Sun Jan 26: Holding Space: Samantha Dickie, Art Gallery
- To Mon Feb 17: Winter Wagon Rides, Mountsberg C. Area
- Fri Jan 17-Sun March 1: interlude Exhibit, Art Gallery
- To Early March: Pond Skating, Burlington Rotary Centennial Pond*weather dependent
- Fri Jan 10-Sun March 29: Division of Labour Exhibit, Art Gallery
- Sat Jan 18-Mon Apr 13: Winter Exhibit: Wildlife Rescue, RBG
- To Tues Feb 18: 30/60 Winter Challenge, Various Locations
- Sundays: Family Sunday Open Studio, Art Gallery
- Thurs 23: Throwback Thursday: “On Golden Pond”, Central Library
- Fri 24: Owl Night – Adult, Mountsberg C. Area
- Fri 24-Sat 25: Winter Beerfest, Holiday Inn Burlington
- Sat 25: Caissie Levy, Performing Arts Centre
- Sat 25: Evening Snowshoe Hike, Crawford Lake C. Area
- Sat 25: Owl Prowl – Family, Mountsberg C. Area
- Sun 26: Speaker Series: Dr. David Galbraith, RBG
- Fri 31: Feel the Burl: A Comedy Cabaret Series, Performing Arts Centre
- Fri 31: “The Beauty Queen of Leenane”, Drama Centre