#BurlON til Jan 23
We’re about halfway through January and here in Burlington we’ve got the temperatures to prove it! Looking for something to do this week? Try skating at Discovery Landing while looking out to the lake, or catch a show at the Performing Arts Centre. Whether you are an outdoors or indoors person, there’s something for everyone here in #BurlON.
Spiders Alive at the RBG
Arachnophobes beware, from January 19 to April 14 the Royal Botanical Gardens will be crawling with spiders and their arthropod friends for Spiders Alive!. Learn about the many adaptations and behaviours of spiders and other creatures in two interactive exhibits and daily programs for all ages. This event is included in your general admission to the RBG, so make sure to stop by during your visit.
Come downtown to the Burlington Rotary Centennial Pond for free Pond Skating until March 4th. This is a great way to spend some time with the family while also being active, despite the cold weather! If you prefer to do your skating indoors, Appleby Arena is hosting a Public Skate on Mondays and Wednesdays. Check online to see specific times.
Have you ever wanted to get nose to beak with an owl before? Now you can with Mountsberg Conservation Area’s Owl Prowl. This program provides insight into the lives of Ontario’s owls with a hike through the night and a visit with Mountsberg’s resident raptors. With two nights, Jan 18 for adults and Jan 19 for families, this is not an event to be missed. Pre-registration is required.
Weekends until February 18, Mountsberg Conservation Area is inviting you and your friends or family to enjoy horse-drawn Winter Sleigh Rides through a winter wonderland. Pre-registration is recommended as spaces do sell out fast check website for availability.
Glen Eden is officially open for winter. While we may not have had much snow, that won’t get in the way of hitting the slopes this week. Check online to see slope conditions and other information.
Hiking is also available at all of our conservation parks. Visit Conservation Halton’s website for information and to see which one of the many beautiful trails here in BurlON is right for you.
Wondering what to do when the snow hits? Check out our blog Snow Much Fun in #BurlON.
Arts and Culture
There’s plenty to enjoy at the Burlington Performing Arts Centre this weekend. On Fri 18 are Upright Citizens Brigade Touring Co and Live & Local Music Series: Charissa Pavlou & The Red Hill Valleys. On Sun 20, The Toronto All-Star Big Band: The Best of Broadway.
Ongoing at the Art Gallery of Burlington until January the 27 are two fantastic exhibits, Dancing on the Grave and Beautiful Scars: Mohawk Warriors, Hunters, and Chiefs. Also, every Sunday at the AGB from 1-4 pm engage in art and craft making at the free Open Studio. All are welcome to participate.
- Daily to Jan 27: Dancing on the Grave, Art Gallery
- Daily to Jan 27: Beautiful Scars: Mohawk Warriors, Hunters, and Chiefs, Art Gallery
- Daily to Jan 4 & Wknds Jan 5-Feb24: Winter Sleigh Rides, Mountsberg C. Area (Many spots SOLD OUT)
- Daily to Mar 4: Pond Skating *Weather Permitting, Burlington Rotary Centennial Pond
- Sat Jan 19 – Sun Apr 14: Spiders Alive!, RBG
- Sundays: Family Sunday Open Studio, Art Gallery
- Mondays and Wednesdays: Public Skate, Appleby Arena
- Fri Feb 1 – Thurs Feb 28: Burlington Heritage Month, Various Locations
- Fri 18: Owl Prowl – Adult, Mountsberg C. Area
- Fri 18: Upright Citizens Brigade Touring Co, Performing Arts Centre
- Fri 18: Live & Local Music Series: Charissa Pavlou & The Red Hill Valleys, Performing Arts Centre
- Fri 18-Sun 27: BFAA Juried Exhibition, Burlington Centre
- Sat 19: Evening Snowshoe Hike, Crawford Lake
- Sat 19: Owl Prowl – Family, Mountsberg C. Area
- Sun 20: The Toronto All-Star Big Band: The Best of Broadway, Performing Arts Centre
- Sun 20: History Explorers Club – Vikings, Ireland House Museum
- Sun 20: The Gardens and Landscapes of Pompeii, RBG