#BurlON ’til Jan 22
There is so much to do in #BurlON ’til Jan 22. Visit the Royal Botanical Gardens for their new winter exhibit, or get nose to beak with some raptors at Mountsberg Conservation Area. Here are some things we think you should check out this week.
RBG Wildlife Rescue
This Saturday is the start of the Winter Exhibit: Wildlife Rescue at the Royal Botanical Gardens. Interact with a variety of different species and learn from those who dedicate their lives to rescuing and releasing endangered animals. Every day has fun activities and on weekends there are live animal guests. This exhibit is included in your general admission to the RBG so be sure to check it out until April 13.
Free Fare Fair AGB
Join the Art Gallery of Burlington in welcoming their new winter exhibitions with the Free Fare Fair on Friday the 17. Explore the new exhibits and enjoy free refreshments and a performance by Atom Cianfarani. Also, try the many different activities such as zine-making, hands-on building, and upcycling plastic toys. This event runs from 7 pm to 10 pm and is free to attend.
Outdoors in #BurlON
Enjoy the outdoors at Mountsberg Conservation Area. Winter Wagon Rides throughout the park are on until Monday, February 17. Also, on Friday, January 17 is Owl Prowl. Hike through the night to try and spot Mountsberg’s owl population. On Sat 18 there is Owl Prowl- Family, which includes family-friendly activities and the chance to get “nose to beak” with some raptors. Both events require preregistration.
Hit the slopes because Glen Eden is open for the season. Every day from 8:30 am to 9:30 pm, whether you are a beginner or a pro, there is snow much fun to have on skis or snowboards. Check online for slope conditions.
The Burlington Rotary Centennial Pond Skating is open until March weather dependent. Head downtown to Discovery Landing and enjoy a skate while looking out at the lake.
Arts and Culture
There are plenty of ways to enjoy art in #BurlON this week. At the Art Gallery of Burlington is Holding Space: Samantha Dickie until Sun Jan 26, and Division of Labour Exhibit until Sun Mar 29. Every week at the AGB is Family Sunday Open Studio. Admission is always free, and this is a great way to be creative as a family.
There are a few different shows at the Burlington Performing Arts Centre this weekend. On Fri 17 is Live & Local: Hayley Verrall & Matty Simpson, on Sat 18 is The Year of the Rat: A Chinese New Year Celebration, and Sun 19 is Robbie Burns 8 km Road Race.
30/60 Winter Challenge
Get outside and play with the 30/60 Winter Play Challenge. Download the app, complete 30 activities in 60 days, and upload photos of you completing them for the chance to win prizes, ending on Feb 18. This is a great way to get to know the city better and have fun at the same time.
- To Sun Jan 26: Holding Space: Samantha Dickie, Art Gallery
- To Mon Feb 17: Winter Wagon Rides, Mountsberg C. Area
- To Early March: Burlington Rotary Centennial Pond Skating, Burlington Rotary Centennial Pond*weather dependent
- Fri Jan 10-Sun March 29: Division of Labour Exhibit, Art Gallery
- Sat Jan 18-Mon Apr 13: Winter Exhibit: Wildlife Rescue, RBG
- Sundays: Family Sunday Open Studio, Art Gallery
- Wed 15: Screeners: “Mary, Queen of Scots”, Central Library
- Fri 17: Live & Local: Hayley Verrall & Matty Simpson, Performing Arts Centre
- Fri 17: Free Fare Fair, Art Gallery
- Fri 17: Owl Prowl, Mountsberg C. Area
- Sat 18: The Year of the Rat: A Chinese New Year Celebration, Performing Arts Centre
- Sat 18: Owl Prowl- Family, Mountsberg C. Area
- Sun 19: Robbie Burns 8 km Road Race, Performing Arts Centre
- Sun 19: Directors Film Series: “The Help”, Central Library