#BurlON til Feb 6
February is Heritage Month here in BurlON. Celebrate our city’s history with all of the amazing events being held throughout Burlington. For specific dates and locations, here is a calendar listing all of the events.
Spiders Alive at the RBG
Arachnophobes beware, until April 14 the Royal Botanical Gardens will be crawling with spiders and their arthropod friends for Spiders Alive!. Here you can learn about the many adaptations and behaviours of spiders and other creatures in two interactive exhibits and daily programs for all ages. This event is included in your general admission to the RBG, so make sure to stop by during your visit.
New Exhibit at the AGB
An exciting new exhibit is coming to the Art Gallery of Burlington. Starting February 2, Territories in Metal showcases the works of four artists who work with metal and other materials to create magnificent works of art. To celebrate the new exhibit, the AGB is hosting an opening night event Friday, February 1.
Weekends until February 18, Mountsberg Conservation Area is inviting you and your friends or family to enjoy horse-drawn Winter Sleigh Rides through a winter wonderland. Pre-registration is recommended as spaces do sell out fast. Try snowshoeing at Crawford Lake and learn about its origins while exploring the Iroquois village. Glen Eden is the place to be this winter with lots of snow now to enjoy the slopes. Check online to see ski conditions and other information.
The Royal Botanical Gardens are inviting you to get Back to Nature with hiking through the park. These are free guided hikes through the vast nature spaces the park has to offer. Hiking is also available at all of our conservation parks. Visit Conservation Halton’s website for information and to see which one of the many beautiful trails here in BurlON is right for you.
Birding in BurlON
Did you know that the western end of Lake Ontario (including Burlington) is home to close to 300 bird species? Birding is one of the fastest growing hobbies in the world, and with all of the opportunities to see many different species here in BurlON it is the perfect activity to enjoy. For information on birding etiquette, locations, seasons, and more, check out our birding blog, or visit us at the Visitors Centre at 414 Locust St and see our “Birding in Burlington” display and pick up a map.
Catch a show in BurlON
There’s so much to see at the Performing Arts Centre this week. Thurs 31 is Shaun Boothe – Unauthorized Biography Series, Fri 1 is Hotel California – Eagles Tribute, Sat 2 is Mike Super: Magic & Illusion, and Sun 3 is Hosted by Glenn Gould: Art of Time Ensemble. Theatre Burlington’s production of “Strangers Among Us,” also begins this weekend, with shows Fri 1, Sat 2, and Sun 3.
Don’t miss out on the fantastic performances here in BurlON this year. Check out our blog, What’s On Stage 2019 for a list of more upcoming shows.
Come downtown to the Rotary Centennial Pond for free Pond Skating until March 4. The cold temperature is perfect for keeping the rink frozen and for some time with the family while also being active. If you prefer to do your skating indoors, arenas in Burlington are hosting Public Skate sessions. Check online to see specific times, dates, and locations, as they do vary.
- Sat Jan 19 – Sun Apr 14: Spiders Alive!, RBG
- Fri Feb 1 – Thurs Feb 28: Burlington Heritage Month, Various Locations
- Sat Feb 2 – Sun March 31: Territories in Metal, Art Gallery
- Sats Jan 26 to Feb 9: Colour in Nature: Intermediate Photography, RBG
- To Sun Feb 24: Winter Sleigh Rides, Mountsberg C.A.
- To Sun March 4: Pond Skating * Weather permitting, Rotary Centennial Pond
- Sundays: Family Sunday Open Studio, Art Gallery
- Sundays: Back to Nature Hike, RBG
- Thurs 31: Shaun Boothe – Unauthorized Biography Series, Performing Arts Centre
- Fri 1: Heritage Month Launch, St. Luke’s Anglican Church
- Fri 1: Territories in Metal Opening Reception, Art Gallery
- Fri 1: Hotel California – Eagles Tribute, Performing Arts Centre
- Fri 1 – Sun 3: “Strangers Among Us,” Drama Centre
- Sat 2: Walking Tour of Downtown with Alan Harrington, Tourism Visitor Centre
- Sat 2: Tales by Midnight, Alton Library
- Sat 2: WNED-TV Kids Fest, RBG
- Sat 2: Chinese New Year Celebration, Glad Tidings Church
- Sat 2: Mike Super: Magic & Illusion, Performing Arts Centre
- Sat 2: Colour in Nature: Intermediate Photography, RBG
- Sat 2: Evening Snowshoe Hike, Crawford Lake
- Sun 3: United Way Day, Glen Eden
- Sun 3: Hosted by Glenn Gould: Art of Time Ensemble, Performing Arts Centre
- Sun 3: SPOTLIGHT 2019 – Burlington Dance Company Inc, Performing Arts Centre
- Mon 4: Memories of Brant Street, Central Library
- Tues 5: Heart of Turtle Island: A Photographic Exploration of the Niagara Escarpment, Art Gallery
- Tues 5: Black History Special Screenings NFB: Show Girls, Central Library
- Wed 6: Documentary Film Finding Vivian Maier, Central Library