#BurlON ’til Feb 5
January just flew by and now that we’re entering February there are new events to enjoy. Heritage Month is beginning and with it are many different events and attractions to explore. Also, the Joseph Brant Museum has an exciting new exhibit opening this weekend. Here are some highlights in #BurlON til Feb 5.
Celebrate Heritage Month in Burlington
February is Heritage Month here in #BurlON and to start it off is the Heritage Month Launch at Knox Presbyterian Church. On Feb 1, learn the history of the church while celebrating its 175th anniversary. Also, on Feb 2 is the Halton Mosque Open House and on Feb 4 take a Tour of St. Luke’s Anglican Church. For more information on Heritage Month events, check out our blog.
New Exhibit at Joseph Brant Museum
This Sat Feb 1 marks the opening of an exciting new exhibit to the Joseph Brant Museum. Until May 10, explore Giants, Dragons & Unicorns: The World of Mythic Creatures. The exhibit features a life-size model of a unicorn and more, plus interactive stations with the chance to build your own dragon and see it come to life.
Fun at the RBG
Visit the Royal Botanical Gardens for their Winter Exhibit: Wildlife Rescue. Explore this interactive exhibit to learn about endangered species and the people who rescue them. There are different visitors and shows all the time so check online for dates and times to see your favourite creatures. Best of all, this exhibit is included in your general admission to the RBG.
Also at the RBG this weekend is WNED Kid Fest. Saturday and Sunday, enjoy meet and greets with PBS KIDS characters, live performances, crafts, and more. Tickets are available online.
Arts and Culture
Theatre Burlington opens its performances of “The Beauty Queen of Leenane” this weekend. There will be shows on Fri 31 and Sat 1, as well as a matinee on Sun 2. Tickets are available online.
There are a couple of different exhibits ongoing at the Art Gallery of Burlington this week. Until Sun March 1 is the interlude Exhibit, and until Sun March 29 is the Division of Labour Exhibit. Also, every week at the AGB is Family Sunday Open Studio from 1-4 pm Admission to the AGB is always free and this is a great way to get creative as a family.
Outdoors in #BurlON
Get outside and enjoy the winter weather in #BurlON. Participate in the 30/60 Winter Challenge until Feb 18. Complete 30 activities and upload photos to the app by the end of the contest for the chance to win a prize. This is a great way to both get to know the city better and have fun this season.
Until Mon Feb 17 Mountsberg Conservation Area has Winter Wagon Rides. Take a horse-drawn ride through the winter wonderland and finish off with a marshmallow roast.
Glen Eden is also open for the season. Whether you are a beginner or a pro there is a place for you on the slopes. Check online ahead of visiting for slope and lift conditions.
Head downtown to Discovery Landing for Pond Skating this winter. Enjoy a free skate on the pond overlooking the lake every day from 10 am to 10 pm, weather permitting.
Those are some of our picks for things to do in #BurlON til Feb 5. For more information on events, attractions, and more, visit us at 414 Locust St., open 9 am to 4 pm seven days a week, or call us at 905.634.5594.
- To Mon Feb 17: Winter Wagon Rides, Mountsberg C. Area
- To Tues Feb 18: 30/60 Winter Challenge, Various Locations
- To Sun March 1: interlude Exhibit, Art Gallery
- To Early March: Pond Skating, Burlington Rotary Centennial Pond*weather dependent
- To Sun March 29: Division of Labour Exhibit, Art Gallery
- To Mon Apr 13: Winter Exhibit: Wildlife Rescue, RBG
- Sat Feb 1-Sun May 10: Giants, Dragons & Unicorns: The World of Mythic Creatures, Joseph Brant Museum
- Sundays: Family Sunday Open Studio, Art Gallery
- Fri 31: Feel the Burl: A Comedy Cabaret Series, Performing Arts Centre
- Fri 31: “The Beauty Queen of Leenane”, Drama Centre
- Sat 1: Classic Albums Live: Fleetwood Mac “Rumours”, Performing Arts Centre
- Sat 1-Sun 2: “The Beauty Queen of Leenane”, Drama Centre
- Sat 1-Sun 2: WNED Kid Fest, RBG
- Mon 3: Taste of Burlington Preview Food Tour, Bus departs from 414 Locust Street – SOLD OUT
- Tues 4: Doc*Side Documentary Series: “The Girls in the Band”, Central Library