#BurlON til Dec 12
We are now well into the Holiday season so that means there is all sorts of fun activities happening to celebrate the season. Whether you would like to see The Nutcracker at the Burlington Performing Arts Centre or take a stroll through Spencer Smith Park for the Festival of Lights, there is something for everyone here in #BurlON.
With FreeP downtown parking on now it is the perfect time to head down to Spencer Smith Park for Burlington Festival of Lights. Enjoy over 60 festive displays until January 8, by either walking through the park or driving along Lakeshore Road. Until December 23 visit Mapleview Centre to meet Santa and receive a free 5 x 7” photo. Take a stroll through the thousands of twinkling Christmas lights in the Rock Garden at the Royal Botanical Gardens for Winter Lights at the Rock.
Check out Tourism Burlington’s Taste of Burlington themed tree at the Festival of Trees. Until December 20 the lobby of the Burlington Performing Arts centre will be decorated with a festive display of Christmas trees! Every tree is sponsored by a local business or organization and visitors can buy raffle tickets for the chance to take one of these trees home. Winners will be drawn at the Andy Kim Christmas Show on December 20.
Santa 5K Run/Walk
Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus, right through Downtown Burlington! On December 8 thousands of Santa’s will be running through the downtown for the Santa 5K run. Come down to cheer on the participants or register online to be a participant and run/walk the race yourself. Tourism Burlington staff will be doing a economic impact survey pre and post race so if you are downtown please participate. Don’t miss out on all the fun at Canada’s largest all-Santa race.
Fest-Of-Ales at the RBG
The Royal Botanical Gardens is inviting you to celebrate Ontario’s independent craft breweries with the 4th annual Fest-of-Ales! This year the event has been expanded to two nights, Thurs 6 and Fri 7. Entrance gets you a mug, 6 drink tokens, and access to vendors and experts for storytelling and education. For more information on specific breweries or tickets, visit their website.
Burlington Performing Arts Centre
Get into the holiday spirit with performing arts. From Friday Dec. 7 to Saturday Dec. 8 the National Ballet Theatre of Odessa has performances of The Nutcracker. Also don’t miss Symphony on the Bay: Christmas Delights on Sunday Dec. 9, complete with classical Christmas music and sing-along carols.
Winter Taste of Burlington Launch Event
Taste of Burlington returns this winter from February 18 – March 10, 2019. To launch the prix-fixe dining program there is an event January 29 at the Burlington Performing Arts Centre with sample beverages and interactive food stations from some of the Taste of Burlington participating restaurants. Tickets are on sale now and always sell out, so hurry and get yours before they’re gone!
Tom Wilson at the Art Gallery of Burlington
Tom Wilson, Canadian musician and Indigenous artist will be at the Art Gallery of Burlington to talk about his memoir “Beautiful Scars: Steeltown Secrets, Mohawk Skywalkers, and the Road Home”. Tom Wilson is from Hamilton and is well known for his musical work with Junkhouse, Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, and Lee Harvey Osmond. His art and autobiography come from his discovery that he was adopted and is Mohawk. Meet the Author: Tom Wilson at the AGB on Sunday, December 9 from 2-4 pm to hear more of his story.
Holidays at Springridge
Our friends at Springridge Farm are inviting you to get into the holiday spirit with their annual weekend Christmas Activities. The fun includes painting a glass ornament, decorating a freshly baked gingerbread cookie, and visiting Santa throughout the barn. Also, you can pick up a Fresh Fraser Fir Christmas tree. Call ahead to place an order for Christmas treats like cookies, fruit pies, and tarts.
Shopping Left to do??
We have some great holiday gift ideas for you with lots of unique ideas which also support local products and experiences. Check out the holiday gift guide or the #BurlON experiences blog for some amazing ideas for everyone on your wish list.
Ring in the New Year
Looking to celebrate the New Year in #BurlON? Here are some special packages available for New Year’s which include festivities and overnight accommodation.
- To Dec 15: Rushing to the Shallows, C. Miles Goldring Art Gallery
- Weds & Fris to Dec 19: Visits with Santa, RBG Hendrie
- To Dec 20: Festival of Trees, Performing Arts Centre
- Daily to Dec 23: Santa’s Signature Experience, RBG Hendrie *SOLD OUT
- Suns to Dec 30: Back to Nature Hike, Rotating Start Points
- Suns: Family Open Studio, Art Gallery of Burlington
- To Dec 30: Winter Lights at the Rock, RBG Rock Gardens
- Daily to Jan 6: Botanical Train Display, RBG Centre
- Wknds to Dec 23 & Daily Dec 27-31 & Jan 2-6: Escarpment Train Exhibit, RBG Rock Gardens
- Daily to Jan 8: Festival of Lights, Spencer Smith Park
- Daily to Jan 13: Mini Exhibit: Seeds in Disguise, RBG Centre
- Daily to Jan 27: Dancing on the Grave, Art Gallery
- Daily to Jan 27: Beautiful Scars: Mohawk Warriors, Hunters, and Chiefs, Art Gallery
- Thurs 6-Fri 7: Fest-of-Ales, RBG Centre
- Thurs 6-Sat 8: Burly Calling, Various Venues
- Thurs 6: Symphony on the Bay Presents Christmas Delights, Central Library
- Fri 7: Meet and Greet Golden Horseshoe Artist, MLHolton, A Different Drummer Books
- Fri 7: Christmas Concert, St. Christopher’s Anglican Church *SOLD OUT
- Fri 7: A Night at Ireland House, Ireland House *SOLD OUT
- Fri 7-Sat 8: The Nutcracker, Performing Arts Centre
- Sat 8: Santa 5km Run, Burlington Downtown
- Sat 8: Christmas on the Rails, Halton County Radial Railway
- Sat 8-Sun 9: Brunch with Santa & Mrs. Claus, RBG Centre
- Sat 8-Sun 9: Christmas Activities, Springridge Farm
- Sat 8: Christmas Bazaar, Cedar Springs Club
- Sun 9: Myriad Ensemble Choir, Performing Arts Centre
- Sun 9: Meet the Author: Tom Wilson, Art Gallery
- Sun 9: Christmas Concert, Salvation Army Community Church
- Sun 9: Symphony on the Bay: Christmas Delights, Performing Arts Centre
- Tues 11: Doc*Side Documentary Series, Central Library
- Wed 12: HPO Presents: Brass Holiday Concert, Central Library