Rediscover #BurlON – Come Home 2 Burlington
This year Canada is celebrating 150 years since Confederation. To commemorate this historic milestone we are inviting former Burlingtonians and family and friends of residents to visit/rediscover Burlington events, restaurants, shops and attractions during 2017. With so many events happening throughout the year, there isn’t a better time to revisit and celebrate your pride in being a Canadian and Burlingtonian! See more details in this Come Home 2 Burlington in 2017 media release.
#hometownproud Famous Burlingtonians
Throughout the year we will be highlighting what some of our Famous Burlingtonians are saying about being #hometownproud. Check out comments from Mark Oldershaw, Olympian, Mike Taylor (Beard Guy), Walk Off The Earth and many others.
Come Home 2 Burlington Twitter Contest
Have you come back home to Burlington to visit OR are you a resident who has rediscovered attractions and activities in our beautiful city? Tell us about it and you have a chance to win a Burlington prize package worth $500! The package includes over $200 worth of gift certificates to local attractions, shopping and dining plus an overnight stay in a local hotel for a fabulous getaway in 2018.
It is as easy as 1, 2, 3 …While you are visiting our local attractions or staying in Burlington accommodations send us a tweet and photo using our Come Home 2 Burlington boards located in their lobbies/registration area.
- Write a message on this board.
- Take a photo.
- Tweet to @burlingtontour using #CH2B
If you haven’t visited Burlington recently make 2017 the year, as there are so many renewed attractions, new restaurants, shops and events plus many of your old favorites are still going strong! Here are just a few of the things you can rediscover during your visit:
- Royal Botanical Gardens – over the past ten years the RBG has been transformed with new gardens, restaurants, banquet/meeting spaces, world class exhibits and fabulous events. They have numerous activities planned to celebrate this milestone throughout the year.
- Waterfront – Visit Spencer Smith Park with its pier, skating/model boat pond, lakeside restaurant and patio, huge playground with water jet plaza, refurbished gazebo and Naval monument and home to numerous festivals throughout the year.
- Burlington Performing Arts Centre – A state of the art theatre showcasing entertainment from across the world and local artists just steps from the waterfront in downtown
- Art Gallery of Burlington – a new name with many year round exhibits and a one of a kind gallery shop for exquisite gifts. They are also hosting the Canadian Craft Biennial this summer and fall.
- Joseph Brant Museum – exciting renovation plans to be unveiled soon!
- Conservation Halton – just steps away with four season outdoor adventure activities at their 7 parks – great locations for reunions and family picnics
- Bronte Park Provincial Park – with one of the largest outdoor pools in Canada and a campground with yurts so you can go glamping
Celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary and staycation in #BurlON. Show that you are #hometownproud by rediscovering local attractions, restaurants, shops and events. Reconnect with family and friends and host events and reunions here in the best mid-sized city in Canada. We can help … check out Love My Hood resources to help you plan your event.
Here are a few events happening so you can start planning your year. Also refer to the city events calendar under Canada 150.
- Jan 21 – Apr 17 Frozen Ice Age Exhibit – RBG – Great family outing
- Mar – Maple Syrup Festivals – Bronte Creek Provincial Park, Mountsberg Conservation Area
- May 27 – ParticipACTION 150 Play list, Haber Recreation Centre
- Jun 4 – Kite Festival – goal is to have 150 kites flying at one time!
- Jun 10-18 – Sound of Music Festival – Kick Off, Club Series, Festival weekend with Parade & Downtown Streetfest
- Jun 11- Citizenship Reaffirmation Ceremony – PLUS ENTERTAINMENT TBC
- Jul 1 – Canada Day – Starts with a Run and ends with fabulous fireworks
- Jul 1 – Official Opening of historic Freeman Station
- Jul 1 – Unveiling of Mural Mosaic
- Jul 1 – Chimes Installation Launch and BBQ, Art Gallery of Burlington
- Aug 7 – Joseph Brant Day – celebrating Burlington’s heritage at beautiful LaSalle Park
- Aug 20 – Children’s Festival – free festival for the entire family
- Sept 1-4 – Canada’s Largest Ribfest – End summer by attending this popular foodie event along the lake
- Aug 19 – Oct 29- Art Gallery of Burlington Craft Biennial – Exhibits, events, conference at creative hub
- Sept 29-Oct 1 – Culture Days – performances, activities
- Sept 30 – Doors Open – showcasing heritage sites, noteworthy buildings, and interesting locations
- Nov – Jan – RBG Holiday Traditions – Get in the holiday spirit and enjoy model trains, exhibits, special events
- Dec – Jan – Festival of Lights – take a romantic winter walk through Spencer Smith Park and enjoy the seasonal lights
Visit the city events calendar for more details.