#BurlOn Nov 29-Dec 6
With December quickly approaching the holiday festivities are now in full swing with so many events and activities to enjoy. Here are some highlights and then the events list for the week outlines all the major events that are happening.
The Burlington Performing Arts Centre is decked out for the holidays with 23 Christmas Trees sponsored by local businesses and organizations including Tourism Burlington’s Canada 150 themed tree. By purchasing raffle tickets for a draw you have an opportunity to take a beautiful tree home. Proceeds benefit the new BPAC/ACCOB Community Studio Theatre initiative that will provide greater access to The Centre for local community organizations. These trees can be viewed by the public every day until December 19, check the website for hours. Of course the Centre is also playing host to many holiday performances including The Men of the Deeps: Christmas in the Mine on November 29, Burlington Concert Band “Christmas Spectacular” on December 1. Don’t miss the spectacular State Ballet Theatre of Russia as they perform “The Nutcracker” December 8 & 9. Symphony on The Bay– A Double Reed Christmas on December 10, Elvis, Wonderful World of Christmas on December 15 and a Very Sapling Christmas on December 21. The festive feeling continues with Charles Dicken’s “A Christmas Carol” closing out the holiday programming on December 22 & 23. For a full list of performances visit the website.
Also on Friday night enjoy a unique holiday evening at Ireland House Museum. Sample seasonal foods prepared on the historic hearth and woodstove such as turkey, ham, soups and desserts. Enjoy tastings of local Niagara region wines. Tickets must be purchased in advance and are $40 each. Enjoy live music as you tour the historic house. (must be 19+ to attend).
Other festive events include the Candlelit Stroll in downtown Burlington this Friday December 1. This family friendly evening includes activities and visits with Santa in Civic Square, the lighting of the Tree of Hope followed by traditional caroling through the downtown ending with the launch of the Festival of Lights. Bundle up and join the fun!
Speaking of the Burlington Festival of Lights, you can enjoy over 60 festive displays in Burlington’s Spencer Smith Park until January 7. Wander through the park or get a full view of the themed displays while driving along Lakeshore Rd at the City’s waterfront.
The annual City of Burlington Santa Claus Parade on December 3 features bands, colourful floats, clowns, mascots and jolly St. Nick himself. Check out the parade route online, pick your spot, then grab your blanket, chairs and head out to catch this holiday tradition.
Jolly Saint Nick will also be at Springridge Farm every weekend until December 10. From 10am-4pm on Saturdays and Sundays there will be children’s craft activities; decorate a gingerbread man or paint a glass ball ornament. Wander the lovely gift barn and you just may spot Santa Claus doing some of his shopping or watching to see what you want for Christmas!
There is so much to do this season at the Royal Botanical Gardens you will have to plan multiple visits. Back by popular demand is Holiday Traditions, the annual holiday celebration featuring the famous RBG Botanical Train Display which runs until January 7. The RBG Centre will have family entertainment, crafts and more every weekend for your family to enjoy. This year, the RBG will be offering a one hour Visit with Santa signature experience that includes a return trip on The RBG Express, hot chocolate and a cookie, storytelling and crafting with Santa`s helpers and a visit with Santa. Book your ticket online it is very popular so don’t delay New to the RBG is the Escarpment Train Exhibit on weekend until Dec 24 and then daily from Dec 27-31 & Jan 2-7 at the Rock Garden House. See a magical winter wonderland at the Rock Garden’s Winter Lights at the Rock a ticketed outdoor event, with activities, music and lights. It’s on this week on Thursday, Friday and Sunday, from 5:00-8:30. Bundle up as its’ outdoors!
December 2 & 9 ride into the holiday season at the Halton County Radial Railway with Christmas on the Rails. There’s nothing like riding the train through the woods with snow on the trees and Christmas carols in the air and of course a visit from Santa.
Of course we’d be remiss if we left out our four-legged friends. Your fur-babies have a chance to meet Santa and get a photo too! On Sunday December 3 bring the family and your pet(s) for a Paws and Claus pet photo at the Burlington Mall. You can also join the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA for Picture your Pet with Santa at select Ren’s Pets stores. Visit the website for dates and locations.
Looking for more holiday information or planning your visit? We are always here to help, for more information on what to see and do in Burlington give us a call at 877.499.9989, visit our website or connect with us on twitter or facebook.
Events This Week
- Wed 29: Men of the Deeps, Burlington Performing Arts Centre – MT
- Thurs 30: Winter Lights at the Rock, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Thurs 30: Fest-of-Ales, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Thurs 30: Throwback Thursday: “Nightwatching”, Central Library
- Thurs 30: Lucy Maud Montgomery’s Birthday, Central Library
- Fri 1: Visit with Santa, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Fri 1: Burlington Downtown Candlelit Stroll, Civic Square to Spencer Smith Park
- Fri 1: A Night at Ireland House, Ireland House at Oakridge Farm
- Fri 1: Burlington Concert Band 15th Annual Christmas Concert, Burlington Performing Arts Centre – MT
- Fri 1-Sat 2: “Sleeping Beauty”, Drama Centre
- Fri 1-Sun 3: TISSOUT UCI Track Cycling World Cup, Mattamy National Cycling Centre
- Fri 1-Sun 3: Walk to Bethlehem, Country Heritage Park
- Sat 2: Storytelling with Mrs. Claus, Royal Botanical Gardens* SOLD OUT
- Sat 2: Markus in Concert, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Sat 2: Christmas on the Rails, Halton County Radial Railway
- Sat 2: Cosima Grunsky – Cozy Music, Burlington Performing Arts Centre – CST
- Sat 2-Sun 3: Christmas Activities, Springridge Farm
- Sun 3: Burlington Welsh Male Chorus, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Sun 3: Isabella Hoops, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Sun 3: Burlington Santa Claus Parade, Burlington Mall to Brant St. & Caroline St.
- Sun 3: Victorian Christmas Afternoon Tea, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Sun 3: The Ennis Sisters, Burlington Performing Arts Centre – CST* SOLD OUT
- Sun 3: Light Up the Lake 5km Run/Walk, Art Gallery of Burlington
- Wed 6: Meet the Author: Joanna Kafarowski, Central Library
- Wed 6: Visit with Santa, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Wed 6: Skyfall Quartet, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Wed 6: HPO Rocks RBG, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Wed 6: Screeners: “Maudie”, Central Library
- Wed 6: Gerry Dee Live, Burlington Performing Arts Centre – MT
- Thurs 7: Canadian Brass, Burlington Performing Arts Centre – MT
- Thurs 7-Sun 10: Winter Lights at the Rock, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Fri 8: Home School- Victorian Christmas, Ireland House
- Fri 8-Sat 9: The Nutcracker, Burlington Performing Arts Centre – MT