#BurlON Dec 6-13
December is in full swing and if you’re like us you are out and about taking advantage of all the fun things to do around town! Burlington is a great city all year long, but especially at the holidays, there are lots of great events and shows that you don’t want to miss!
Saturday marks the Santa 5km Run/Walk throughout the downtown area. This is a fun event to participate in as it’s purely for fun (how can it not be when you’re wearing a Santa suit) but it’s also not timed. If running/walking isn’t your thing, then grab a coffee/hot drink and find a spot on the route to watch thousands of Santa Claus’ hit the streets – it really is a sight to see! Race starts at 9:30 at City Hall and finishes up there as well. Make a morning of it and take advantage of some of the great breakfast specials from some of the downtown restaurants. While you’re downtown make sure you check out the beautiful windows from participating retailers in the downtown area. It’s great to see so many looking so festive and participating in the Window Competition run by the Burlington Downtown Business Association. If you get the chance to visit before Friday, take a pic of your favourite and post to Twitter or Instagram using #CWOD17 for a chance to win a $200 prize pack.
It’s the last weekend for Christmas Activities and visits with Santa himself at Springridge Farm. From 10am-4pm on Saturday and Sunday there will be children’s craft activities, decorate a gingerbread man or paint a glass ball ornament. Visit their lovely gift barn and we’re guaranteed you’ll get some of your holiday shopping done.
It’s going to be another busy weekend at the Royal Botanical Gardens as they have lots of great events going on. Back by popular demand is Holiday Traditions, the annual holiday celebration featuring the famous RBG Botanical Train Display which runs until January 7. The RBG Centre will have family entertainment (Milton Show Choir and Madame Buskerfly on Saturday and My Pop Choir and High Five Quartet on Sunday), crafts and more for your family to enjoy. New to the RBG is the Escarpment Train Exhibit on weekends until Dec 24 and then daily from Dec 27-31 & Jan 2-7 at the Rock Garden House. See a magical winter wonderland at the Rock Garden’s Winter Lights at the Rock a ticketed outdoor event, with activities, music and lights. It’s on this week on Thursday Friday and Sunday from 5:00-8:30. Bundle up as its’ outdoors! Enjoy brunch with Santa and Mrs. Claus this Saturday and Sunday but get your tickets in advance! For the grown up children, RBG is hosting a fun night featuring Second City: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Sweater. Put on your ugly Christmas sweater and get ready to laugh!
Our friends at Burlington Public Library Central Branch are in the festive spirit and are showing National Lampoon’s Vacation on Sunday and It’s a Wonderful Life on Tuesday. Two Christmas classics that are sure to get you into the spirit!
Don’t miss the Burlington Made handmade market taking place Saturday from 10-4 at Crossroads Centre. There will be over 60 local artisans plus live music, food and children’s workshops.
Later Saturday ride into the holiday season at the Halton County Radial Railway with Christmas on the Rails. Ride the train through the woods and enjoy Christmas carols, 1-8pm.
Make sure you don’t let the season pass you by without a nighttime visit to Spencer Smith Park for the Burlington Festival of Lights, on until January 7. Enjoy over 60 festive displays. Enjoy dinner out before or grab a drink after; always a nice night!
Another festive weekend at Burlington Performing Arts Centre with performances of the holiday classic The Nutcracker, Canadian Brass and Symphony on the Bay. Check the website for ticket and show information. Make sure you buy raffle tickets from the box office for the Festival of Trees in the lobby area as well – the trees look beautiful!
Looking for more holiday information or planning your visit? We are always here to help, for more information on what to see and do in Burlington give us a call at 877.499.9989, visit our website or connect with us on twitter or facebook.
Events This Week
- Wed 6: Visit with Santa, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Wed 6: Maudie, Central Library
- Wed 6: Skyfall Quartet, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Wed 6: HPO Rocks RBG, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Wed 6: Gerry Dee Live, Burlington Performing Arts Centre – MT
- Thurs 7: Canadian Brass, Burlington Performing Arts Centre – MT
- Thurs 7-Sun 10: Winter Lights at the Rock, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Fri 8: Home School- Victorian Christmas, Ireland House
- Fri 8-Sat 9: The Nutcracker, Burlington Performing Arts Centre – MT
- Sat 9: Santa 5km Run, Burlington Downtown- Start at Appleby Pharmacy
- Sat 9: Festival of Inner Lights, Art Gallery of Burlington
- Sat 9: Christmas on the Rails, Halton County Radial Railway
- Sat 9: Milton Show Choir, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Sat 9: Madame Buskerfly, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Sat 9-Sun 10: Brunch with Santa & Mrs. Claus, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Sat 9-Sun 10: Christmas Activities, Springridge Farm
- Sun 10: National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, Central Library
- Sun 10: My Pop Choir, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Sun 10: The Magic of Christmas with Rick Rossini, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Sun 10: Symphony on the Bay – A Double Reed Christmas, Burl Performing Arts Centre – MT
- Sun 10: High Five Quartet, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Tue 12: It’s a Wonderful Life, Central Library
- Wed 13: Visit with Santa, Royal Botanical Gardens
- Wed 13: The Second City: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly Sweater, RBG